Skip to main content

Rajani maushi


Wrote this piece long time back. Thank You SP College!



---

I was standing outside my college waiting for a friend. While I was still debating whether to go inside and explore my hostel premises, I saw a familiar figure walking in my direction.
It was Rajani maushi! Draped in a nine-yard sari, carrying a wicker basket in hand and spectacles perched firmly on her nose, Rajani maushi did not seem to have recognised me.
I rushed forward saying “Rajani maushi, Rajani maushi, olakhla ka?” (Did you recognise me Rajani maushi?)
She peered closely and said, “Kon radki ka?Kay kartes, kuthe astes?” (Is it you cry baby? What are you doing these days?)
When I first came to Pune in Std XI, I had to stay in a college hostel. I was painfully shy, homesick and not a very confident teenager then. Rajani maushi was the cleaning woman of the hostel. Along with cleaning of the rooms, she also took charge of the girls, reporting to the Rector if any one of us fell sick and ensuring that we participated in all the hostel activities.
I was reluctant to participate in the games or dance competition, preferring to switch off the lights and watching the fun from my room. But Rajani maushi did not let me do that for long, She used to drag me from my room, ridiculed me by calling radki and forced me to join other girls.
When that did not work, she took me aside and said, “Your parents stay just three hours away. There are girls from Patna, but do they cry? No. They are having fun and studying hard. You are just being miserable.”
Her words did not change me overnight. But then I slowly started reaching out to other girls and sharing my loneliness with them. In fact, when I became the matron in my final year, responsible for all the newcomers, Rajani maushi used to tell them about the cry baby I was.
Now, when I recall those days, I realise how much Rajani maushi has shaped the person I am today. I am still shy, diffident, preferring to stay in the background, but don’t wallow in self-pity. I also try and be patient with other girls who are staying away from their families for the first time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Portrait of a poet

This has already been published in the Sunday supplement. Krishnaji Keshav Damle also known as Keshavsut --- Poetry never really appealed to me. And, so it was with great reluctance that I agreed to my husband's plan to visit Keshavsut Smarak – a memorial raised in memory of 'Father of Modern Marathi Poetry', Krishnaji Keshav Damle – in Malgund. We were in Ganapatipule at that time and decided to go to Malgund, a 10-minute drive (a kilometre) from the popular tourist destination. A sign-post told us to take a left turn and what greeted us, at the end of the lane, was tranquil silence. No security guards, no tourists, just a plaque announcing that Damle, popularly known as Keshavsut, was born in the red-roofed house, surrounded by green shrubbery. Keshavsut's house in Malgund  A poem by Keshavsut  The house, renovated in the old style, was near-empty, except for Keshavsut's portrait that was hanging from the wall in the front room. In the

Many ideas of ‘self’ (Review of Pratibimb, Marathi play)

With Mahesh Elkunchwar’s name as a writer associated with Pratibimb (Reflection), you know nothing in the play will be at face value. Nothing is what it seems. It is difficult for commoners to get into Elkunchwar’s mindspace, which is precisely the subject of the Marathi play, which was staged earlier in August and will now be performed again on Friday, September 15 at Sudarshan Rangmanch, Shaniwar Peth. While watching the play, it’s evident that the viewer has to peel various layers to get to the core of the story — Who are you? What does ‘self-identity’ mean? Is it so bad if your reflection goes missing or if you have no identity? Thokale (a white-collared office goer) wakes up one morning and finds his reflection missing. Enters Bai, his landlady, who tries to assure him that nothing is lost. In fact, it could be a ‘breaking news’ for the newspaper. This perhaps could have led to a lot of chaos physically. Instead, we are led to the darkness looming large in our dystopian minds

Pune: Road widening stirs debate on how citizen groups can be more effective (First published in Citizen Matters)

  A Prabhat Road bylane where road widening has been proposed. Pic: Ambika Shaligram “One of our neighbours suddenly saw notices, announcing the Pune Municipal Corporation’s proposal to widen six-metre roads to nine metres and inviting objections within a stipulated time frame, pasted randomly in the lanes of the Anand Park locality,” says Dr Dhananjay Rau, president of Anand Park Residents Association (APRA), a housing society in Aundh. “It took us completely by surprise. Thankfully, we still had time, so we submitted our objections to the PMC.” The six internal lanes of Anand Park are dead-ends and do not connect to the main road. So why widen the roads, the residents ask. Uncertain utility apart, there will also be an environmental fallout, they argue. “There are about 25-30 trees in each lane and these will have to be axed if the roads are widened,” adds Dr Rau. “We have to consider this environmental impact. Plus widening the main road will lead to more traffic and accidents. So w