Skip to main content

STEAMY AND STEALTHY


Chatting up brand consultant and advertising veteran Kartik Kompella who has come up with a slick, fast paced book titled A Pitch for Love.

Set in the realm of advertising, A Pitch for Love (HarperCollins), is funny, wicked and deliciously gossipy about the going-ons in Leapfrog, a Mumbai company. It is also very ‘insider-ish’, so laypersons like us will learn how big deals are cracked, what professional rivalries can lead to and the sleeping around (or not) that comes along with it. It is in this world that Prachi and Drona collide and learn to lean on each other, trust and then eventually fall in love. Brand consultant, Kartik Kompella, who has worked in advertising for several years, tells us more about his protagonists and how he wrote their story.


Was it important to be on a safe footing for your first novel and that’s why you chose to set it in the world of advertising, which you are familiar with?
My first novel was a noir thriller which I never showed to a publisher. It was a long novel and the genre was tough. It took a lot out of me and I was exhausted and depressed when it was done. I knew in its current unedited form it wasn’t good enough and I was in no mood to edit it.
I wanted to write something that was easy and fun. I knew I could do something fast paced and slick set in advertising. I loved writing A Pitch For Love, the setting was familiar and it didn’t take much to make it authentic. The tone of conversation was that which I used with my friends, so I felt at home. With the ambience and conversation coming naturally, all I needed was a plot. When I was writing, I never could see more than a chapter or two ahead, so I was discovering the story as I was writing but I guess it turned out well!

How was it working under female bosses? Did you borrow some of their characteristics for Prachi and Janaki?
I’ve hardly worked with female bosses. I’ve had more issues with people’s personalities more than their gender. I’ve never been comfortable with very aggressive male or female bosses or even clients. In advertising, there are always tight deadlines and I was fine with those but I think I operated with a lot more creativity and freedom when I didn’t feel the pressure of individuals bearing down on me.
I didn’t get any of Prachi’s characteristics from my bosses but from various women I know. I drew on different characteristics from different friends of mine and amalgamated them into one great lady boss.

Where did you meet Drona? Did he give you any trouble while forming his character? He is a complex guy.
Drona is someone who is partly me and partly who I’d like to be and so I found him easy to form. The lightness that he has is very similar to characters from P G Wodehouse and his way of talking, in many ways similar to me, when I’m talking with friends.
Drona’s character is complex but was not tough for me to render because I could relate to him a lot. Prachi’s character in comparison was tougher because when you are making up a person, you need to make sure you are being realistic. Her character was a little flatter and more predictable because I was very conscious that she was outside my comfort zone, so I played safe.

The Leapfrog company is something that sticks to stereotypes associated with advertising world. You could have broken those. But you didn’t. Why?
You’re right, the Leapfrog that I depicted was based on stereotypes. This worked in three ways — it was a comfort zone for me, it lends itself to more interesting characters and it feeds into an existing reader mindset without challenging it.
Over my 20 years in advertising, I don’t think the stereotype has changed much, I think the stereotype attracts those kind of people to the industry but they are struggling in an increasingly sanitised corporate atmosphere. Let’s say I borrowed more from my early days than my later days in advertising.

What’s your next book going to be?
My next book is a cricket novel. I’m also planning to edit my noir thriller. I think it’s a really good book which back then, I just didn’t know how to edit. My experience with A Pitch For Love and the first draft of the cricket novel has improved my writing and editing abilities and I think I can create something special with the noir.

Tags

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Portrait of a poet

This has already been published in the Sunday supplement. Krishnaji Keshav Damle also known as Keshavsut --- Poetry never really appealed to me. And, so it was with great reluctance that I agreed to my husband's plan to visit Keshavsut Smarak – a memorial raised in memory of 'Father of Modern Marathi Poetry', Krishnaji Keshav Damle – in Malgund. We were in Ganapatipule at that time and decided to go to Malgund, a 10-minute drive (a kilometre) from the popular tourist destination. A sign-post told us to take a left turn and what greeted us, at the end of the lane, was tranquil silence. No security guards, no tourists, just a plaque announcing that Damle, popularly known as Keshavsut, was born in the red-roofed house, surrounded by green shrubbery. Keshavsut's house in Malgund  A poem by Keshavsut  The house, renovated in the old style, was near-empty, except for Keshavsut's portrait that was hanging from the wall in the front room. In the

Valu and more

Visited Poman Pimpale village where Marathi picture Valu was shot. --- Documentary la chala… came the shout and Poman Pimpale villagers slowly started gathering at the village square. The children were already there, jostling each other, eager to see the ‘documentary’ – Marathi film Valu, which was shot in this village, some 14 kms away from Saswad. On the occasion of the film completing 50 successful days, the cast and crew of Valu, decided to host a special screening for the villagers on Saturday as a tribute. As Umesh Kulkarni, the director of Valu says, “ The movie is a collaborative venture of the villagers and myself. Valu is theirs as much as it is mine.” You just need to mingle with the crowd to find out what Umesh says is true - it’s their movie that the villagers have gathered to see. Pradeep Poman, a village elder, says that they enjoyed the whole film making process. “It had become a past time for us. Whenever we had some time to spare, we just went to see the shooting.

Many ideas of ‘self’ (Review of Pratibimb, Marathi play)

With Mahesh Elkunchwar’s name as a writer associated with Pratibimb (Reflection), you know nothing in the play will be at face value. Nothing is what it seems. It is difficult for commoners to get into Elkunchwar’s mindspace, which is precisely the subject of the Marathi play, which was staged earlier in August and will now be performed again on Friday, September 15 at Sudarshan Rangmanch, Shaniwar Peth. While watching the play, it’s evident that the viewer has to peel various layers to get to the core of the story — Who are you? What does ‘self-identity’ mean? Is it so bad if your reflection goes missing or if you have no identity? Thokale (a white-collared office goer) wakes up one morning and finds his reflection missing. Enters Bai, his landlady, who tries to assure him that nothing is lost. In fact, it could be a ‘breaking news’ for the newspaper. This perhaps could have led to a lot of chaos physically. Instead, we are led to the darkness looming large in our dystopian minds